Friday, December 11, 2009

Building Permits

Did you know that building permits are really expensive?!?  I had no idea.  Well, I guess I had a bit of an idea.  After all, if you can afford to build a house, I guess you can afford to pay the city for the right to build the house.  I'm sure this varies from city to city, but I suspect you get hammered no matter where you live.  But you can't build a house without permits so what are you going to do?

So let's see.  To get started we needed eight different permits:
  • Zoning
  • Building
  • Sewer Tap/Inspection
  • Electrical
  • Plumbing
  • HVAC
  • Water Meter/Tap
  • Curb/Sidewalk
Notice the curb/sidewalk permit.  In Carlisle, homeowners have the responsibility of installing and maintaining sidewalks.  Makes a corner lot a bit less desirable.  Anyway, more than $6,000 later, we've got our permits and we can now start building!

No comments:

Post a Comment