Saturday, February 20, 2010

Under Roof - Finally!

At the end of my last post, the SIPs roof was just getting finished and snow was beginning to fall.  This time around, the house had been weatherized as much as possible.  The first floor was pretty well protected but the second floor was still wide open.  As predicted, the snowfall was fairly significant - bringing another foot of snow.  We're definitely getting tired of the snow.

More snow (Click image for more photos.)

Although we got a lot of snow, the weatherproofing that was done on the house worked quite well.  The first floor was more-or-less completely protected and it was only the second floor that had to be cleared out.  Once that was done, the second floor interior walls were framed out and the roof trusses started going up.  Unfortunately, we were in Washington D.C. for much of this so I didn't get any pictures of this part of the project.  What's worse is that while in Washington, the weather report was predicting yet more snow for Carlisle, up to six inches!  Darn, it's starting to feel like someone "upstairs" is out to get us.  Fortunately, this storm did not really materialize and we only got an inch or so.

When we returned, the roof was well underway.  The trusses were up on the house and they were working on the trusses for the garage.  Once the trusses are in place, they are covered with plywood and tar paper.  At this point, the roof is considered weather proof.  Finally!  Now it can snow all it wants (let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...).  Well, on second thought, let's hope it doesn't.  We're sick of the snow.

The house has a roof (Click image for more photos.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow look at that house grow.1 minute a hole in the ground the next a house!This is so much fun to watch.If I could compute I would spend more time at this site so maybe it's just a well I can't. I really enjoy this. Love Mom

David and Virginia Jackson said...

Hi Mom,

I'm just glad you figured out how to post comments! Glad you're enjoying the blog - I'm having a lot of fun posting updates!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you chose this avenue to keep us apprised of progress.I really would have loved to have seen it go to-gether. But based on distance this was not practical. Now that you are "roofed" I am sure that we will see a lot of "goodies" going in. Love Dad

crayzidesi said...

Hi Mrs. Jackson!

I don't know if you remember me, but I was one of your 5th grade students back in 1999-2000 when you taught at Challenger School (Meridian) in San Jose, CA. I was cleaning out some old boxes and I found this blue foam star that you had written a message to me on. I wanted to find some way to contact you just to say hi, and I stumbled upon this blog. (Hopefully, you are the "correct" Virginia Jackson.) Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that you had a huge impact on my life. You helped me through a difficult time when other students bullied me, and you helped shape me into the strong woman that I am today. I just wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart, and I wanted to wish you good luck on your energy-efficient house!
Sincerely,
Janani Muralidharan

Spray Foam Roofing said...

Spray Foam Roofing Systems provide many benefits to building owners. The two most important benefits is the value of the seal / leak prevention and insulation.

Post a Comment